We hold our therapy intensives for individuals and couples at our Institute in Colorado Springs, CO. If you are from out of town, we supply you with information on accommodations near our facility.
Colorado Springs is in the midst of some of the most beautiful natural scenery in the world. The climate and environment support the uplifting experiences of Barry and Janae’s Individual and Couple Therapy Intensives. Colorado Springs is a “destination” city offering an amazing menu of social, recreational and environmental “retreat” resources.
Our therapy intensives for individuals and couples will help you quickly and significantly transform yourself and/or your relationships, particularly if you are struggling with intractable conflicts. Our non-diseasing therapy intensives have helped hundreds of people transform themselves and their lives. And because we believe in your personal powers of self-healing, our approach is designed to strengthen your ability to direct your own personal and relational growth.
We use self-healing tools that we’ve developed and tested in our own relationship in our therapy intensives. We know very personally about the challenges of breaking free of dysfunctional family patterns and sustaining intimacy in long-term relationships. So we humbly support and heartfully honor those who are willing to walk this rewarding path. What we are offering you at these retreats comes from what we’ve learned in our 28 year LOVE-atory, and our years of work with other individuals and couples in our counseling practice.
You Are Not Stupid or Crazy . . . . Just Traumatized
In our individual and couple therapy intensives, we help you identify and and heal Developmental Trauma from your early childhood, particularly those that might be replaying in your present-time conflicts. This aspect of our retreats helps you connect the dots between addictive or self-destructive adult behaviors and dysfunctional family-of-origin patterns and unhealed childhood trauma, it is possible to change yourself and your life. We believe that people do what they do for a REASON—they are not stupid or crazy, they are just traumatized!
We use a variety of experiential self-help tools to help you identify your family patterns and locate the sources of Developmental Trauma. In our couple therapy intensives, we use an experiential diagnostic process that quickly shows how partners’ histories of individual Developmental Trauma interlock with each other. There is typically a symmetry between them that shows why they are “right” for each other. Once we help you identify this symmetry, we teach you specific tools for transforming your relationship at the deepest levels. Then we teach you how to use our self-healing tools to clear trauma-based behavior patterns so that you can take charge of your healing process.
Prior to the Personal Therapy Retreat:
We email you a packet of forms and self-inventories to complete and return prior to arriving for your retreat. We use these to create a plan of action for your coaching sessions. They include:
- A “Personal Information Form” that provides a fairly extensive medical and psychological history.
- Several self-inventories that allow you to assess your current level of physical/emotional well being.
Therapy Intensive options:
- Individual intensive: one person works both Barry and Janae
- Individual intensive: one person works with either Barry or Janae
- Couple intensive: two people work with both of the Weinholds
Typical individual/couple therapy intensive activities:
- An extensive intake of your family-of-origin and possible childhood abuse or neglect history.
- The completion of diagnostic self-inventories to help focus your work.
- The identification of your core patterns of Developmental Trauma from family-of-origin experiences.
- The identification of your personal style of conflict resolution.
- An experiential “sculpting” exercise to identify your sources of conflicts.
- The connection of past traumas with your intractable present-time conflicts.
- The identification of the interlocking aspects of your unresolved family-of-origin traumas in a couple. relationship.
- Learning tools that help you heal your own traumas and tools for helping heal each other’s traumas.
- The creation of a contract outlining your goals and activities for transforming the relationship
- The identification of your past traumas causing intractable present-time conflicts
- The identification of the interlocking aspects of your unresolved family-of-origin traumas
- Creating an exit “change plan” for integrating intensive experience into your everyday life
A typical daily therapy intensive schedule providing 6 to 8 hours of therapy:
Morning session: 3-4 hours
Lunch break 2 hours
Afternoon session: 3-4 hours
At the beginning of each intensive, we discuss the schedule of the intensive with you and cooperatively plan both the activities and the meeting times to meet your needs. Couples may take longer lunch breaks to discuss and work independently on activities and then return to meet in the late afternoon and evening. We do not schedule other activities during your intensives so that we can focus exclusively on your needs.
Personal Growth Intensive fee structure:
Janae and Barry each charge $1,000 per day for individual therapy intensive services and $2,000 per day for couple intensives with the two of them. A $500 online booking fee reserves your intensive date on their calendar. The balance of your fee is due at the end of the intensive period. Click here to make your deposit.
We offer one hour of free phone or Skype follow-up following the intensive for each day of the intensive. For example, a three-day couple therapy intensive with them include three hours of follow-up telephone or Skype support and a two day individual intensive would include two hours of free phone consultation with Janae.
Free phone consultation:
If you are interested in talking personally with the Weinholds regarding a therapy intensive, they offer a free 20 minute consultation. Email to schedule a consultation appointment.