Finding Hope: The End To Suffering
A New Podcast Co-Hosted by Barry Weinhold and Patricia Raskin
From time to time, Ordinary Life presents all of us with ample opportunities to experience pain and suffering, and it may even seem that suffering is the norm in your life. But it need not be so. The Buddhists say that pain is inevitable, but suffering is optional.
So then why do you suffer so much?
Each episode of the podcast will help you to understand the following four little known facts related to your suffering:
- Your natural learning style is to repeat any hidden and unhealed traumas that disrupted your normal development when it is safe enough for them to reappear. These are the sources of human pain and suffering and the reason why you might still be suffering in some important ways. You will keep repeating these experiences until you understand them and finally heal them. There is no shame when you repeat past reexperience; it is just your natural way of learning. This only means that there is more for you to learn about that previous experience. Once you understand what you still need to learn, from that experience, you can begin to heal from the long-term effects of your earlier trauma.
- If your reaction to a current situation in your life is greater than the situation calls for, this is an opportunity to learn more about the possible cause of your reaction and begin to take steps to heal the suffering that comes with your over-reaction. Any time you over-react to a current situation or person, it tells you that is something more to learn from that past trauma. Our guests will show you how to do that.
- If you can find the source of your suffering (likely hidden developmental traumas) and you can name that source, you can begin to tame it and reduce any suffering you previously experienced. Our guests will show you how to tame your suffering.
- You will repeat what is unfinished about your earlier traumas in your closest and safest relationships. Relationships have to be close enough and safe enough for any of the unfinished aspects of your earlier traumas to reappear. When this happens, you will need to know how to handle it effectively. That is what our guests will demonstrate.
Each month we will interview a guest who will share with us their inspiring journey from experiences of childhood trauma to ending pain and suffering in their life. These inspiring stories will give the audience examples of what true healing looks like. We will ask each of our guests to answer four key questions:
- What happened to you earlier in your life that caused suffering for you?
- How did these experiences affect you?
- How did you learn to make sense out of what happened to you.
- What did you do to end the suffering in your life?
Whereas much of the work of psychology and psychotherapy focuses on addressing the symptoms of human suffering, true healing comes from identifying and addressing the original causes of that suffering: developmental traumas. Through these podcast interviews, listeners will find support and empowerment in identifying the sources of their pain and suffering and then reducing — even eliminating — all suffering in their lives.
Our guests demonstrate that their natural learning style caused them to repeat anything that happened to them that interfered with their normal development. They provide practical ways to finally heal these early traumas and end their suffering.
Barry K. Weinhold, Ph.D.
Barry is Professor Emeritus at The University of Colorado at Colorado Springs, where he founded and directed the M. A. Program in Counseling and Human Development. He is a licensed psychologist and the author or co-author of 75 books in psychology. He is the Founder and Co-Director of the Colorado Institute For Conflict Resolution & Creative Leadership (CICRCL). He also serves as the Clinical Director of CICRCL. Barry has been married to his professional partner, Dr. Janae Weinhold, for 36 years.
Host of The Patricia Raskin Show, is a nationally recognized, multi-media radio talk show and podcast host, award-winning producer, speaker and author. For the past 30 years Patricia has been a pioneer and trailblazer for positive media messaging. As an author, inspiring public speaker and trainer, entrepreneur, and visionary broadcast producer, and host, Patricia has given voice through the airwaves to help people turn their obstacles into opportunities, challenges into solutions and make their dreams come true. The Patricia Raskin Show is in its eleventh year on News Talk 630 WPRO, the Cumulus Broadcasting affiliate in Providence, R.I.
Each weekly episode is about 20 minutes long and will be offered separately in video and audio formats. The first episode in each month will contain information about us and the theme of the podcast. The other three episodes contain the actual interview of our guest for that month.
Episode 1: Meet the Hosts
This first episode allows listeners to get to know Barry and Patricia and to hear stories about how our hosts overcame suffering in their own lives.
Episode 2: Susan Blue – Part One
This episode features Susan Blue, a body worker who tells a compelling story about how she overcame the suffering caused by childhood trauma.
Episode 3: Susan Blue – Part Two
This episode allows listeners to continue to hear Susan Blue’s story.
Episode 4: Susan Blue – Part Three
In this episode, Dr. Weinhold and Patricia conclude their deep conversation around suffering and healing with Susan Blue.
Episode 5: Overcoming Suffering
In this episode, Dr. Barry Weinhold and Patricia Raskin talk about some of the ways they have been overcoming suffering throughout their lives, and recent examples of how to avoid the path to suffering!
Episode 6: The Desperado – Part One
In this episode, Dr. Barry Weinhold and Patricia Raskin talk to Rafa Flores about his childhood growing up in South Texas.
Episode 6: The Desperado – Part Two
In this episode, Dr. Barry Weinhold and Patricia Raskin talk to Rafa Flores about growing up with a single mother and how it affected his relationships as an adult.
Episode 6: The Desperado – Part Three
In this episode, Dr. Weinhold and Patricia conclude their deep conversation around suffering and healing with Rafa Flores.