Do you know how to identify and change your addictive family patterns? If you don’t, then you need to read this book. Breaking Free: Identifying and Changing Your Addictive Family Patterns describes 12 addictive behavior patterns that prevent sustainability in your adult relationships. They say the first five years are the formative years and give you a foundation for the rest of your life. However, if you had conflicts that were not resolved or traumas you didn’t heal during that time, you will have cracks in your foundation that will make your adult life less successful than it could have been. Finally, if you do not know how to identify-change your family patterns, you will end up creating similar patterns in your children.
This book is a classic in the self-help book market. It was first released in 1987 and has gone through five other editions before this expanded edition. Thousands of folks, like you, have read the book and sent me reports about how much it helped them. Here is what some of them wrote:
Feedback From Readers
“I would highly recommend this book to anyone who is interested in learning how their family of origin has impacted their life. Barry shows us with kindness and caring how we can move forward and have a more productive and healthy life.” C. H.
Another reader wrote: “The author clearly teaches you how to separate yourself from the issue and gives you the steps to move forward and be the healthy adult you should be. I can say that this helped me very much and would recommend it to anyone whether they have dysfunction in their homes or not!” A. R.
Finally, this reader put it succinctly: “Read this book if you want real change, I recommend it with my full heart.” A. B.
Every adult exhibits some addictive family patterns. These are so common that they go unnoticed, until something disrupts your life that clearly originated in your family of origin. This book will help you understand why this happens to everybody and what to do about it.
I have worked with thousands of adults in my private practice as a psychologist and this is where I usually start with a new client. I ask them to connect the dots and identify what didn’t get finished for them while growing up that still interferes with them having harmonious relationships. When these things show up in your adult relationships, it is a good sign that you are ready to change. This book shows you how to do that.
How Do You Know If You Have Addictive Family Patterns?
Do you have hidden family patterns that are addictive? If you answer”yes” to any of the questions below, this book will help you identify-change your addictive family patterns.
- Need the approval of your partner in order to feel good about yourself?
- Feel trapped in your relationship?
- Wait for your partner to change in order to feel better?
- Feel unappreciated and unseen by your partner?
- Walk on eggs so your partner won’t criticize you?
- Find it difficult to have fun and be spontaneous?
- Know your family’s death patterns? (If you don’t they can kill you.)
- Feel like your partner is treating you like you were treated growing up?
- See parts of your parent’s relationship in your current relationship?
- Have trouble enjoying sex the way you would like to?
- Criticize your partner the way you were criticized by your parents?
- Experience difficulty in sustaining intimacy in your relationships?
If you struggle with any of these issues in your relationships, you need to read this book. The paperback version is available from Amazon/ClearSpace for $14.95.