Breaking Free Of Addictive Family Patterns is a classic in the self-help book market. It was first released in 1987 and has gone through five other editions before this expanded edition. Thousands of folks, like you, have read the book and sent me reports about how much it helped them. Here is what some of them wrote:
Comments By Readers
“I would highly recommend this book to anyone who is interested in learning how their family of origin has impacted their life. Barry shows us with kindness and caring how we can move forward and have a more productive and healthy life.” C. H.
Another reader wrote: “The author clearly teaches you how to separate yourself from the issue and gives you the steps to move forward and be the healthy adult you should be. I can say that this helped me very much and would recommend it to anyone whether they have dysfunction in their homes or not!” A. R.
Finally, this reader put it succinctly: “Read this book if you want real change, I recommend it with my full heart.” A. B.
Every adult exhibits some addictive family patterns. These are so common that they go unnoticed, until something disrupts your life that clearly originated in your family of origin. This book will help you understand why this happens to everybody and what to do about it.
The Most Common Problems Resulting From Unrecognized Family Patterns
Here are the most common relationship problems that are the result of the Addictive Family Patterns discussed in this book.This book describes 12 addictive patterns of behavior that interfere with sustaining your relationships.
- Need the approval of your partner in order to feel good about yourself?
- Feel trapped in your relationship?
- Wait for your partner to change in order to feel better?
- Feel unappreciated and unseen by your partner?
- Walk on eggs so your partner won’t criticize you?
- Find it difficult to have fun and be spontaneous?
- Have conflicts that remind you of those you experienced growing up?
- Feel like your partner is treating you like you were treated growing up?
- See parts of your parent’s relationship in your current relationship?
- Have trouble enjoying sex the way you would like to?
- Criticize your partner the way you were criticized by your parents?
- Not understand your family’s death pattern?
If you struggle with these kinds of issues in your relationships, this book will help you change them. Each one of twelve family patterns are discussed. Each pattern has writing exercises to help you examine how these intergenerational family patterns are currently affecting your relationships and your life.
I have worked with thousands of adults in my private practice as a psychologist and this is where I usually start with a new client. I ask them to connect the dots and identify what didn’t get finished for them while growing up that still interferes with them having harmonious relationships. When these things show up in your adult relationships, it is a good sign that you are ready to change. This book shows you how to do that.
This book is available as an e-Book through Amazon/Kindle for $3.99 and as a paperback book through Amazon/ClearSpace for $14.95.